Things you don't want to hear

Posted at 3:44 PM by Abi Za
We all have those phrases that we don't want to hear:

"Sweetheart, we need to talk"
"Dad, where's the fire extinguisher and first aid kit?"
"Can you remember the last time I took birth control?"

This afternoon, I heard a new one:

Ring Ring
DaddyBear:  "Hello?"
Girlie Bear:  "Dad?  It's raining in the basement."
DaddyBear: "Wait, what?"

Not "OMFG DAD!  THE BASEMENT IS FLOODING!!!!eleven!!!!".  but "It's raining in the basement."  No emotion, smooth as silk.  Might as well be telling me that she'd finished her homework and was going outside to ride her bike.

Apparently the main drain line out of the bathroom somehow became occluded with debris of some sort, and the overflow from bathroom fixtures was running through the floor and into the thankfully unfinished side of the basement directly below.

This accelerated my drive home.  Luckily, the prodigious application of plunger, drain snake, cussing, and drain cleaner corrected the issue.  Follow-up application of hot bleach water appear to have kept the zombie apocalypse from originating in my home.

I'm proud of her in that she knew not to panic and to call me rather than try to tear apart the plumbing with a wrench.  But that phrase will definitely go into my list of things I never want to hear again.

Related Post



0 comments:

Post a Comment