A Tale of Two Tonsils

Posted at 2:00 PM by Abi Za
Scene 1 - A doctor's office in Minot,  1977

Pediatrician - "Mrs. Bear, you might consider having your son's tonsils out.  They're huge!"

Scene 2 - Military Hospital in Germany - 1993

Physician's Assistant - "Wow, Sergeant Bear, you've got some pretty large tonsils there.  Too bad you still have them.  When things slow down, you ought to make an appointment with the EENT and have those taken out.  You'll have to find a month where there's nothing going on to get through the surgery and recovery."

Scene 3 - Doctor's Office, Louisville Kentucky - 2005

DaddyBear - "Doctor, how do my tonsils look?  I've been advised to remove them in the past, but what do you think?"
Doctor - "Wow, those are huge!  Do you snore?  Let's get you into the sleep center and see if you have apnea.  Do you know what a CPAP machine is?"

Scene 4 - Same Doctor's Office, Louisville Kentucky - 2011

Doctor - "Gosh, your tonsils are huge!  I thought we did something about that.  Go get another sleep study so we can justify surgery to get them taken out and may be a few other things to get rid of that snoring."

So here we are.  Sometime in the next couple of months I will be going under the knife to have my tonsils and other parts of the back of my throat removed.  Hopefully my snoring and continual coughing due to throat issues will be alleviated.  I've alerted my boss that I will be taking two weeks off, and I plan on putting my feet up the entire two weeks.  No trips with the family, no working from home. I will be eating soft comfort food, taking good pain relievers, and watching a whole bunch of cartoons in between naps.

I'll keep y'all updated in case posting here suddenly stops or gets really weird, like a conservative Jim Morrison poetry slam.

Related Post



0 comments:

Post a Comment